The Resource Letters received and sent from the Virginia Land Office, 1774-1977
- Letters received and sent from the Virginia Land Office, 1774-1977
- Inclusive dates
- These records contain incoming correspondence to the register of the Land Office, including the period the secretary of the commonwealth held the office, dealing primarily with business affairs. Included are requests for warrants and copies of grants and surveys, letters which accompanied incoming surveys, letters seeking information about military bounty lands, and inquiries regarding the manner of resolving conflicts pertaining to land possession. Many entries from the 20th century involve requests for information for genealogical or historical research, frequently to establish eligibility for membership in the Daughters of the American Revolution
- Although some of the 19th century letters have notes for replies annexed (particularly during the periods 1810-1814 and 1875-1899), it is not until the 20th century that copies of the replies are attached to most letters received, sometimes typed onto the back of the original letter received. In 1948, the Land Office records were transferred from the custody of the Secretary of the Commonwealth to the State Library, and in 1952 the duties of the Register of the Land Office were transferred from the Secretary of the Commonwealth to the state librarian. Following the transfer, correspondence regarding the Land Office records was conducted by the state librarian, Randolph W. Church from 1948 to 1972, and Donald Haynes from 1972
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Land Office (Search Virginia Land Office as author).
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 18
- Citation source
- Land Office Inventory
ContextContext of Letters received and sent from the Virginia Land Office, 1774-1977
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Letters received and sent from the Virginia Land Office, 1774-1977
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/-2e3x1gSb64/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/-2e3x1gSb64/">Letters received and sent from the Virginia Land Office, 1774-1977</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...