The Resource Letters, 1854
- Letters, 1854
- Inclusive dates
- United States -- Appointments and retirements
- Washington (D.C.) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century
- Personal papers
- Dobbin, James C., (James Cochran), 1814-1857
- Goode, William O., (William Osborne), 1798-1859
- Whittle, William Conway, ca. 1840-1919
- Orr, James Lawrence, 1822-1873
- Letters (correspondence)
- Letters, 1854, of William Osborne Goode (1798-1859) of Mecklenburg County, Virginia, consisting of a letter, 22 March 1854, to Secretary of the Navy James C. Dobbins (1814-1857) concerning the appointment of William Conway Whittle (ca. 1840-1919) as a midshipman in the United States Navy; and a note, n.d., to James Lawrence Orr (1822-1873) of South Carolina, accepting a dinner invitation
- Biographical or historical data
- William Osborne Goode was born 16 September 1798 in at "Inglewood" in Mecklenburg County, Virginia, to John Chesterfield Goode (1775-1837) and Lucy Herbert Claiborne Goode (d. ca. 1800). He attended the College of William and Mary, graduating in 1819. Goode studied law, was admitted to the bar in 1821 and began practicing in Mecklenburg County. Goode represented Mecklenburg County in the House of Delegates from 1822 to 1823, 1824 to 1833, 1839 to 1841, 1845 to 1847, and 1852 to 1853. He was Speaker of the House from 1845 to 1847. Goode was a member of both the 1829-1830 and 1850-1851 state constitutional conventions. Although an unsuccessful candidate for election in 1832 to Congress, Goode was elected and served from 1841 to 1843. He did not run for reelection in 1842. He returned to Congress in 1853 and served until his death in 1859. Goode married first Sarah Bolling Tazewell (1803-1825) of Goochland County, Virginia, 23 January 1820, and they had 4 children, none of whom survived to adulthood. He married second Sarah Maria Massie (1812-1844) of Nelson County, Virginia, 10 September 1829, and they had 8 children. Goode died 3 July 1859 at his home "Wheatland" near Boydton in Mecklenburg County.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Letters, 1854
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Letters, 1854
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/-9_HfWXgpE0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/-9_HfWXgpE0/">Letters, 1854</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...