The Resource Agency history for the Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission
- Agency history for the Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission
- Biographical or historical data
- The Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission (JLARC) is responsible for legislative oversight and government accountability. The Commission studies and makes recommendations regarding program and agency savings, helps to improve agency efficiency and effectiveness, works to maintain an informed citizenry and legislature, and oversees agency compliance with legislative intent. The work of the Commission ensures that funds appropriated by the Virginia General Assembly are used effectively and efficiently by State and local agencies.
- The Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission was created in 1973 and became operational in early 1974. The Commission is composed of nine members of the House of Delegates and five members of the Senate. At least five of the Delegates also serve on the House Appropriations Committee, and two of the Senators also serve on the Senate Finance Committee. Delegates are appointed by the Speaker of the House, and Senators by the Senate Rules Committee. The Chair is elected by a majority of Commission members and usually rotates every two years between the House and Senate. The Auditor of Public Accounts is a nonvoting, ex officio member. The Commission has a full-time staff led by a Director who is appointed by the Commission and confirmed by the General Assembly for a six-year term of office.
- A fundamental change in evaluation authority occurred in 1977 with enactment of the Legislative Program Review and Evaluation Act. This act provided for a more systematic process of legislative oversight through a better defined topic selection process and direct involvement of General Assembly standing committees. (The JLARC authority is outlined in Title 30, Chapters 7 and 8 of the Code of Virginia).
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Agency history for the Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Agency history for the Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/-HIdPdtheOU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/-HIdPdtheOU/">Agency history for the Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...