The Resource Roster and record book, 1861-1864
- Roster and record book, 1861-1864
- Inclusive dates
- Roster and record book, 1861-1864, of Company B (Waynesboro Guard) of the 52nd Virginia Infantry. The volume contains a descriptive list of the unit's members, with age, height, hair and eye color, complexion, occupation at enlistment, and birthplace. There is a roll of arms and ammunition furnished to each soldier, as well as articles such as knapsacks, canteens, screwdrivers, and wipers issued. Dates of activities of each soldier are also noted, including when on detached service, with and without leave, when they joined, if they died of disease, wounds, or were killed in action, promotions, pay dates, courtsmartial, transfers and discharges, substitutes, and when taken prisoner. Finally, there are payrolls, which include the soldier's name, by whom they were paid, and for what period of time
- On 6 February 1866, the volume was presented as a "rebell trophy" to Walter F. Sutherland (1844-1894) of the 1st Battalion, U. S. Engineers, by Wilbur F. Nichols (1838-1896) of the 17th New York Infantry. It was later used by William Sawyer (1808-1892) of Buxton, Maine, and contains farm accounts and memoranda covering the years 1880 to 1888
- Biographical or historical data
- Company B of the 52nd Virginia Infantry was organized on 29 June 1861, and was mustered into service on 15 July. Known as the "Waynesboro Guards," many of its members were from Waynesboro and Augusta County. It was led by Capt. William Long (ca. 1830-1862) who died of wounds suffered at the Battle of McDowell. He was succeeded by Andrew J. Thompson (1832-1923).
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Roster and record book, 1861-1864
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Roster and record book, 1861-1864
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/-I2nG1qHCJM/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/-I2nG1qHCJM/">Roster and record book, 1861-1864</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...