The Resource Thomas P. Atkinson supplemental report, 1874
- Thomas P. Atkinson supplemental report, 1874
- Inclusive dates
- Supplemental report on the differences of the white and black races, 1874, written by Thomas P. Atkinson. The article was written in response to criticism by the Boston Medical and Surgical Journal (New England Journal of Medicine) of the original paper submitted by Atkinson to the Medical Society of Virginia entitled, "Report on the Anatomical, Physiological and Pathological Differences Between the White and Black Races, and on the Modifications of the Treatment of the Diseases of the Latter Rendered Necessary Therby." Located on frames 740-754
- Biographical or historical data
- Thomas Pleasants Atkinson was born 17 March 1797 in Chesterfield County, Virginia. After receiving his medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania in 1817, he married Mary Harrison Baird (1804-1887) of Person County, North Carolina. They settled in Halifax County, Virginia, where he practiced medicine. Atkinson was elected president of the Medical Society of Virginia in 1853, and honorary fellow of the society in 1871, chairing the society’s committee which unsuccessfully recommended a state board of health to the Virginia legislature. Atkinson also became involved in politics, representing Halifax County in the House of Delegates from 1827 to 1830 and representing Halifax and Mecklenburg Counties in the Virginia Senate from 1832 to 1834. Moving to Danville, Virginia in the 1830s, he served as president of the Branch Bank of Virginia and as a three term mayor. An author of several medical articles, Atkinson was working on a book of sketches of doctors in Virginia and North Carolina when he died 30 August 1874.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Thomas P. Atkinson supplemental report, 1874
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Thomas P. Atkinson supplemental report, 1874
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/-Xc1D-ORXKY/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/-Xc1D-ORXKY/">Thomas P. Atkinson supplemental report, 1874</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...