The Resource Portsmouth (Va.) Circuit Court Chancery Causes, 1859-1932.
- Portsmouth (Va.) Circuit Court Chancery Causes, 1859-1932.
- Inclusive dates
- Plats -- Virginia | Portsmouth
- Divorce suits -- Virginia | Portsmouth
- Business enterprises. -- Virginia | Portsmouth
- Deeds -- Virginia | Portsmouth
- Wills -- Virginia | Portsmouth
- Debt -- Virginia | Portsmouth
- Local government records -- Virginia | Portsmouth
- Equity. -- Virginia | Portsmouth
- African Americans -- History
- Portsmouth (Va.)
- Land subdivision -- Virginia | Portsmouth
- Judicial records -- Virginia | Portsmouth
- Chancery causes -- Virginia | Portsmouth
- Portsmouth (Va.) -- Genealogy. -- Genealogy
- Land records -- Virginia | Portsmouth
- Portsmouth (Va.) -- History
- Estates (Law) -- Virginia | Portsmouth
- Portsmouth (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1859-1932 (bulk 1859-1913) are indexed into the Chancery Records Index. Cases are identified by style of suit consisting of plaintiff and defendant names. Surnames of others involved in a suit, including secondary plaintiffs and defendants, witnesses, deponents and affiants, and family members with surnames different from the plaintiff or defendant are indexed. Chancery causes often involved the following: divisions of estates or land, disputes over wills, divorces, debt, and business disputes. Predominant documents found in chancery causes include bills (plaintiff's complaint), answers (defendant's response), decrees (court's decision), depositions, affidavits, correspondence, lists of heirs, deeds, wills, slave records, business records or vital statistics, among other items. Plats, if present, are noted, as are wills from localities with an incomplete record of wills or localities other than the one being indexed. The predominant number of chancery causes in this collection were created by the Hustings Court prior to its dissolution in 1904
- Chancery causes are useful when researching local history, genealogical information, and land or estate divisions. They are a valuable source of local, state, social, and legal history and serve as a primary source for understanding a locality's history
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Circuit Court (Portsmouth). Browse search: Portsmouth (Va.) Circuit Court.
- Biographical or historical data
- Chancery Causes are cases of equity. According to Black's Law Dictionary they are "administered according to fairness as contrasted with the strictly formulated rules of common law." A judge, not a jury, determines the outcome of the case.
- Portsmouth was located in Norfolk County, which is now extinct. It was named by its founder, William Crawford, for the English seaport and was established in 1752. Portsmouth was incorporated as a town in 1836 and as a city in 1858.
- The chancery causes of Portsmouth (Va.) described in this collection were created by the following courts: Hustings Court and Circuit Court.
- The Hustings Court was the city equivalent of the County Court. It was dissolved in 1904 and its functions were assumed by the Circuit Court.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- See the Chancery Records Index found on the Library of Virginia web site for the chancery records of other Virginia localities.
- Additional Portsmouth Court Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records On Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia web site.
ContextContext of Portsmouth (Va.) Circuit Court Chancery Causes, 1859-1932.
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Portsmouth (Va.) Circuit Court Chancery Causes, 1859-1932.
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/-eWiTdlFTTI/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/-eWiTdlFTTI/">Portsmouth (Va.) Circuit Court Chancery Causes, 1859-1932.</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...