The Resource Rockbridge County (Va.) Superintendent of the Poor Ledger, 1875-1888
- Rockbridge County (Va.) Superintendent of the Poor Ledger, 1875-1888
- Inclusive dates
- Rockbridge County (Va.)
- Ledgers (account books) -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Public welfare. -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Poor. -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Rockbridge County (Va.) -- History
- Local government records -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Almshouses -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Rockbridge County (Va.) Superintendent of the Poor Ledger is one volume dated 1875-1888. It contains the records of money received and spent by Charles J. Brawley and James W. Alexander who served as Superintendents of the Poor during this period. These records dealt with the Poor House, the Poor Farm, as well as the Poor Levy. It includes the records of services provided by the Overseers of the Poor for the Natural Bridge, Buffalo, Kerr's Creek, West Creek, South River, Lexington, and Walker's Creek Overseers of the Poor Districts. It also includes the records of Dr. J. McD. Taylor, Physician of the Poor House
- Stuck in the book are numerous items. One is a bill, dated July 1, 1886, from Thomas S. White and Company, dealers in general merchandise for food items; and also for material and other items needed to make clothing. There is a bill dated April 22, 1881, from B. H. Gorrell for two prescriptions for Mrs. Henry. There are two papers with accounts on them. There is a bill to the Overseer of the Poor of South River District, dated September 22, 1885, for Dr. H. T. Barton's services for Miss Dempsy. There is a note dated June 21, 1878 of a loan to J. D. Morrison of seventy cents. A paper with Samuel Yount's Overseer of the Poor accounts for August 1881 is also stuck in the book
- Biographical or historical data
- Rockbridge County was named for Natural Bridge, an exceptional rock formation located in the county. The county was formed from Augusta and Botetourt counties in 1778, and another part of Botetourt was added later.
- In 1780 the Virginia General Assembly replaced the Anglican vestries and churchwardens of the colonial period with elected bodies called Overseers of the Poor. The Overseers provided food, clothing, shelter, and medical treatment for the persons who were too poor to support themselves or too ill to provide for their basic needs. The Overseers took over the supervision of the poorhouses and workhouses built by the vestries and built new poorhouses and workhouses where they were needed.
- In 1844, the General Assembly enacted laws to create poor farms overseen by boards of directors for the maintenance and education of the poor. The boards bought farms and built buildings, appointed a superintendant for each poor farm, and chose a physician to attend the sick and teachers to educate the children. The adults and older children were required to work if they were able.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Rockbridge County Court Records can be found on microfilm in the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia web site.
ContextContext of Rockbridge County (Va.) Superintendent of the Poor Ledger, 1875-1888
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Rockbridge County (Va.) Superintendent of the Poor Ledger, 1875-1888
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/-mM5PpMJYnY/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/-mM5PpMJYnY/">Rockbridge County (Va.) Superintendent of the Poor Ledger, 1875-1888</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...