The Resource Surry County (Va.) Marriage Register and Index, 1768-1853
- Surry County (Va.) Marriage Register and Index, 1768-1853
- Inclusive dates
- Local government records -- Virginia | Surry County
- Surry County (Va.)
- Free African Americans. -- Marriage -- Virginia | Surry County
- Clergy. -- Virginia | Surry County
- Marriage. -- Virginia | Surry County
- Marriage registers -- Virginia | Surry County
- Free African Americans. -- Virginia | Surry County
- Marriage records -- Virginia | Surry County
- Surry County (Va.) -- History
- Indexes (reference sources) -- Virginia | Surry County
- Christian sects. -- Virginia | Surry County
- Surry County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1768-1853, is essentially divided into two sections. The first section covering pages 1-206, 1768-1850, records the date of the marriage bond, the names of both parties, the names of the parents or guardians and the security or witnesses present. From 1809-1850, pages 80-206, there are eleven entries for marriages between "free persons of color." The second section covering pages 207-268, 1785-1853, records the date of the marriage, the names of both parties, the minister's name and the religious denomination of the minister. In additon, pages 269-277 (1850-1853) record the same information found in the first section. Beginning in 1852, however, the date of the marriage license (instead of marriage bond) is recorded. Page 278 lists three undated marriage bonds. Pages 279-281 (1853) record more extensive information--the date of the marriage, personal statistics on the bride and groom, the name of the minister and the location of the marriage ceremony. Like the first section, there are numerous entries recorded (48 total) for marriages between "free persons of color"--from 1804-1853 (pages 218-279.)
- An Index to Surry County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1768-1853, is a separate volume. This typescript index is arranged alphabetically from A-Y according to the last and first names of both parties. Alternate spellings of last names are noted with a see also. This volume also lists alternate names of individuals (aliases) in parentheses
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Surry County was formed from James City County about 1652. Surry County was named for the county of Surrey in England.
- Prior to 1853, when the Commonwealth began recording vital statistics, Virginia marriages were recorded at the county or city level. Beginning in 1661, in order to be married by license, the groom was required to go before the county clerk and give bond with security that there was no lawful reason to prevent the marriage. The license, issued then by the clerk, was given to the minister who performed the service. Written consent from a parent or guardian was needed for individuals younger than twenty-one years.
- The original marriage records, from which these volumes were compiled, were created by the County Court.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Surry County Marriage Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
- Surry County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional Surry County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Collection at the Library of Virginia. Search the "Lost Records Localities Database" found at the Library of Virginia web site.
- The original compilations are found at the Library of Virginia's State Records Center.
ContextContext of Surry County (Va.) Marriage Register and Index, 1768-1853
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Surry County (Va.) Marriage Register and Index, 1768-1853
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/-nfTGPdPkeI/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/-nfTGPdPkeI/">Surry County (Va.) Marriage Register and Index, 1768-1853</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...