The Resource Report of the Commissioners for Trade and Plantations, 1739 July 27
- Report of the Commissioners for Trade and Plantations, 1739 July 27
- Inclusive dates
- 1739 July 27
- Report, Commissioners for Trade and Plantations, Whitehall, to the Privy Council, 27 July 1739. This is a manuscript copy of the report of the Board of Trade on the petition of Thomas, Sixth Lord Fairfax, concerning the boundaries of the Fairfax Proprietary. The report was made by Sir John Monson, Martin Bladen, Thomas Pelham, and Richard Plumer
- Additional physical form
- Original available on microfilm (Virginia Colonial Record Project, Film 1607, Reel 46)
- Biographical or historical data
- The land included in what later became known as the Fairfax Grant or Fairfax Propriety was granted initially in 1649 by King Charles II. Since certain areas of the land had been settled under patents issued by the Colony, there was widespread protests to this action. The Colony, in addition, disputed the boundaries of the said grant. A lawsuit which covered approximately the years 1730-1745 resulted in a decision favorable to Lord Fairfax.
- For extensive background data on the Fairfax Proprietary see Douglas Southall Freeman, GEORGE WASHINGTON. New York: Scribner: 1951 (volume 1, pp. 447-527) and Josiah L. Dickinson, THE FAIRFAX PROPRIETARY. Front Royal: Warren Press, 1959 (pp. 1-11).
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
- Location of originals duplicates
- Original record located at British Public Record Office Class C.O. 5/1335.
ContextContext of Report of the Commissioners for Trade and Plantations, 1739 July 27
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Report of the Commissioners for Trade and Plantations, 1739 July 27
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/01iDcJYTHkM/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/01iDcJYTHkM/">Report of the Commissioners for Trade and Plantations, 1739 July 27</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...