The Resource Petersburg (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1787-1912
- Petersburg (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1787-1912
- Inclusive dates
- Judicial records -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Equity. -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Plats -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Chancery causes -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Petersburg (Va.) -- Genealogy. -- Genealogy
- Debt -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Land records -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Petersburg (Va.)
- Land subdivision -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Petersburg (Va.) -- History
- African Americans -- History
- Deeds -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Local government records -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Divorce suits -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Wills -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Estates (Law) -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Business enterprises. -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Petersburg (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1787-1912 (bulk 1802-1912), are indexed into the Chancery Records Index. Cases are identified by style of suit consisting of plaintiff and defendant names. Surnames of others involved in a suit, including secondary plaintiffs and defendants, witnesses, deponents and affiants, and family members with surnames different from the plaintiff or defendant are indexed. Chancery causes often involved the following: divisions of estates or land, disputes over wills, divorces, debt, and business disputes. Predominant documents found in chancery causes include bills (plaintiff's complaint), answers (defendant's response), decrees (court's decision), depositions, affidavits, correspondence, lists of heirs, deeds, wills, slave records, business records or vital statistics, among other items. Plats, if present, are noted, as are wills from localities with an incomplete record of wills or localities other than the one being indexed
- Chancery cases are useful when researching local history, genealogical information, and land or estate divisions. They are a valuable source of local, state, social, and legal history and serve as a primary source for understanding a locality’s history
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Circuit Court (Petersburg). Browse search: Petersburg (Va.) Circuit Court.
- Biographical or historical data
- Chancery Causes are cases of equity. According to Black's Law Dictionary they are "administered according to fairness as contrasted with the strictly formulated rules of common law." A judge, not a jury, determines the outcome of the case.
- Petersburg was formed from parts of Dinwiddie, Prince George, and Chesterfield Counties. A garrison and fur trading post called Fort Henry was established there in 1645 on the site of the Indian town Appamattuck. The present name, suggested in 1733 by William Byrd (1674-1744), honors Peter Jones, Byrd's companion on expeditions into the Virginia backcountry. Petersburg was established in 1748 and incorporated as a town in 1784. In the latter year the towns of Blandford, Pocahontas, and Ravenscroft were added to Petersburg . It was incorporated as a city in 1850.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Petersburg Court Records can be found on microfilm at The Library of Virginia web site. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm."
- See the Chancery Records Index found on the Library of Virginia web site for the chancery records of other Virginia localities.
ContextContext of Petersburg (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1787-1912
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Petersburg (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1787-1912
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/04xBVgvanus/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/04xBVgvanus/">Petersburg (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1787-1912</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...