The Resource Covington Bridge Company records, 1833-1848
- Covington Bridge Company records, 1833-1848
- Inclusive dates
- These records include a bridge plan, dated August 1, 1833, by Frances O'Neale and Lewis Wernwag; letters sent; plats of Covington with suggested sites for bridge (August 6, 1833; August 26, 1833); proposals for construction; specifications for construction; contracts; reports; security bonds
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Board of Public Works (search author as Virginia Board of Public Works)
- Biographical or historical data
- An act to incorporate the Covington Bridge Company for the purpose of constructing a toll bridge across Jackson River opposite Covington, was passed by the General Assembly January 23, 1833. The act was amended March 19, 1836, to change the point of termination from Second Street to Third Street in Covington. Capital stock was limited to $3,500, with any excess required to be raised by the citizens of Covington. The bridge was completed in November, 1837. Between that time and 1845, the bridge was destroyed by flood. An act of the General Assembly passed February 13, 1845, provided for rebuilding the bridge, and in March 1848, approved the appointment of a bridge superintendent.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 64
- Citation source
- Board of Public Works inventory
ContextContext of Covington Bridge Company records, 1833-1848
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Covington Bridge Company records, 1833-1848
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/0Jl_qxPBdoM/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/0Jl_qxPBdoM/">Covington Bridge Company records, 1833-1848</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...