The Resource Raleigh Edward Colston preliminary note, 1893
- Raleigh Edward Colston preliminary note, 1893
- Inclusive dates
- Preliminary note, 1893, written by Raleigh Edward Colston introducing the publication in the SOUTHERN HISTORICAL SOCIETY PAPERS of an address that he made to the Ladies’ Memorial Association of Wilmington, North Carolina, on 10 May 1870. Located on microfilm frames 444-447
- Biographical or historical data
- Raleigh Edward Colston was born the 25 October 1825 in Paris, France. He was adopted by Raleigh Travers Colston, a Virginia born physician living in France and his wife Therese Gnudi. Colston moved back to the United States with his family in 1842. He entered Virginia Military Institute in 1843 and graduated in July 1846. Following graduation he became assistant professor of French at Virginia Military Institute and by 1854 became the first alumni of VMI to reach full professor. In May of 1861 was appointed colonel in the Provisional Army of Virginia. By the end of the war Colston had risen to the rank of General. After the war, due to financial problems, he was forced to sell his home and property and began teaching again, becoming principal of two military schools in North Carolina. In 1873 Colston accepted a colonel's commission from the khedive of Egypt and he remained in Egypt until 1878 when he returned to the United States due to illness. Colston died 29 July 1896 at the R. E. Lee Camp Confederate Soldiers' Home in Richmond, Virginia.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Raleigh Edward Colston preliminary note, 1893
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Raleigh Edward Colston preliminary note, 1893
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/0Kb0x3naYu0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/0Kb0x3naYu0/">Raleigh Edward Colston preliminary note, 1893</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...