The Resource Letter books, 1777 December 22 - 1779 May 3
- Letter books, 1777 December 22 - 1779 May 3
- Inclusive dates
- 1777 December 22 - 1779 May 3
- These records contain recorded copies of the outgoing correspondence of Thomas Smith, State Agent, in Williamsburg, to ships captains and merchants regarding the purchase and outfitting of vessels with provisions, and the distribution of these goods
- The first volume (186 p.) covers the period December 22, 1777 - November 7, 1778, and includes a few letters of William Aylett after he resigned as state agent. Inverted and reversed are letters received by the office, 1777 Nov-1778 May. This volume also includes a copy of a Council order, November 29, 1777, appointing William Lee as State's Agent in France
- The second volume (78 p.) covers the period November 13, 1778 - May 3, 1779. There are copies of occassional incoming letters, as well as in frequent outgoing letters over signatures of other people. Date of initial letter is illegible and a final letter of August 15, 1779 is marked through
- Additional physical form
- Also available on Misc. Reel 366.
- Biographical or historical data
- On August 21, 1775, the third revolutionary convention passed an ordinance establishing the office of state agent and commissary of stores to supervise the procurement, storage, and distribution of supplies needed by the army. William Aylett was appointed to the office. After he resigned in 1777 the office was divided, with Thomas Smith being appointed state agent and William Armistead commissary of stores. In 1776 assistant agents were appointed in Virginia, Europe, and the West Indies to oversee the shipping of supplies, and in 1778 a public store was established at Philadelphia to serve the Continental troops from Virginia. The office of state agent was abolished and was replaced by the Board of Trade by an act of the General Assembly in May 1779.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Letter books, 1777 December 22 - 1779 May 3
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Letter books, 1777 December 22 - 1779 May 3
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/0LdTPyLWcNA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/0LdTPyLWcNA/">Letter books, 1777 December 22 - 1779 May 3</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...