The Resource Preliminary sketches of proposed Virginia State Library building, Richmond, Virginia, 1935.
- Preliminary sketches of proposed Virginia State Library building, Richmond, Virginia, 1935.
- Inclusive dates
- The exact provenance of these drawings is unclear. The blueprints predate the State Library Building Commission (Acts, 1936, chap. 242; 1938, chap. 405), the entity that ultimately oversaw the construction of the new building, and may represent the earliest plans for a new structure commissioned directly by the State Library. The State Library had worked on numerous occassions with the architectural firm of Baskervill & Lambert and Baskervill & Son. These drawings are various plans for a proposed State Library building and are dated 10 and 12 September, and 1 November 1935. They show four different configurations for a library building. It is important to note that the 1 November revision entitled "Fourth Floor Plan" includes floor space for a courtroom and judges quarters. The new library building ultimately constructed in 1939-40 (Carneal, Johnston, & Wright, architects; Baskervill & Son, associate architects; Githens & Keally, consulting architects) was shared by the Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, State Law Library, Office of the Attorney General, and State Library. The design for the new library building represented in these drawings was not executed
- Biographical or historical data
- The architectural firm of Baskervill & Son was formed in 1932 when Henry E. Baskervill's long-established Richmond architectural practice was joined by his son, H. Coleman Baskerville. (The younger man used an added letter on the family name.) Important commissions by Baskervill & Son before the death of the elder Baskervill in 1946 included the renovation of the Medical College of Virginia's Egyptian Building (1932), the M. C. V. Main Hospital (1936-1941), the Virginia State Library (1939-1940), and the W. T. Grant Department Store (Richmond; 1941).
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- See REPORT OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY, 1934-1938, (Richmond : Division of Purchasing and Printing)
ContextContext of Preliminary sketches of proposed Virginia State Library building, Richmond, Virginia, 1935.
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Preliminary sketches of proposed Virginia State Library building, Richmond, Virginia, 1935.
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/1G62DQ25nnI/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/1G62DQ25nnI/">Preliminary sketches of proposed Virginia State Library building, Richmond, Virginia, 1935.</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...