The Resource The Taylor Building, Eastern Lunatic Asylum, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1892.
- The Taylor Building, Eastern Lunatic Asylum, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1892.
- Inclusive dates
- Architectural drawings -- Virginia | Williamsburg
- Psychiatric hospitals. -- Virginia | Williamsburg -- Designs and plans
- Eastern State Hospital (Va.)
- Dimmock, Marion Johnson, 1824-1908,
- State hospitals -- Virginia | Williamsburg -- Designs and plans
- Williamsburg (Va.) -- Buildings, structures, etc
- Architecture -- Virginia | Williamsburg -- 19th century
- Virginia -- Buildings, structures, etc
- Marion J. Dimmock designed this Richarsonian Romanesque style structure for the Eastern Lunatic Asylum (Eastern State Hospital). The building features two corner towers with conical roofs, an eyebrow dormer, and round-topped arches over the windows and entrance. The building was condemned in 1942, but continued to be used for ten more years. At one time, it housed the patients library
- Biographical or historical data
- Marion Johnson Dimmock was born in Portsmouth, Virginia in 1824 and moved to Richmond in 1833. He served in the Confederate Army, attaining the rank of captain. He became one of the most prolific Virginia architects in the period 1870-1900. Among his more prominent commissions during this period were the Confederate Memorial Chapel (1887), a hotel in Elkton, Virginia (1890), Richmond Chamber of Commerce Building (1891-1892), Mortuary Chapel in Hollywood Cemetery (1897-1898), and an addition to the State Library Building (Dimmock & Lee, 1908).
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of The Taylor Building, Eastern Lunatic Asylum, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1892.
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The Taylor Building, Eastern Lunatic Asylum, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1892.
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/1toTqO4YI40/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/1toTqO4YI40/">The Taylor Building, Eastern Lunatic Asylum, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1892.</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...