The Resource 1843-1897
- Inclusive dates
- Lawyers -- Virginia | Richmond
- Legislators. -- Virginia | Richmond
- Personal papers
- Crump family
- Virginia. -- Social life and customs -- 19th century -- Social life and customs
- Letters (correspondence)
- Crump, William Wood, 1819-1897
- Judges -- Virginia | Richmond
- Virginia -- History -- 19th century
- Papers, 1843-1897 (bulk 1868-1895), of William Wood Crump of Richmond, Virginia, primarily consisting of personal and professional correspondence, but also receipts. The majority of the letters concern court cases. Also includes letters relating to and from his children. A letter from his daughter discusses sledding and ice skating while another letter concerns the education of his son Edward at the Virginia Military Institute. Also includes letters relating to genealogy and history, such as Pocahontas. Henry A. Wise, and the quarrel between John Randolph of Roanoke and Henry Clay. Also includes a petition calling for Crump’s name to be placed on the ballot for House of Delegates around 1880
- Biographical or historical data
- William Wood Crump was born on 25 November 1819. He graduated from the College of William and Mary and was admitted to the bar in 1840. He was a criminal defense attorney in Richmond and served as a circuit court judge for the city of Richmond. He served on the Richmond City Council and also in two sessions on the Virginia House of Delegates (1866, 1875). During the Civil War, he was an Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Confederate States of America. He died on 27 February 1897.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of 1843-1897
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1843-1897
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/28pfQdHpmEM/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/28pfQdHpmEM/">1843-1897</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...