The Resource Scott County (Va.) Circuit Court Records, 1859-1943
- Scott County (Va.) Circuit Court Records, 1859-1943
- Inclusive dates
- Scott County (Va.) Circuit Court Records, 1859-1943 (bulk 1887-1920), are comprised of loose executions, suit papers and judgments, 2 order books, a memorandum book, a fee book, a chancery fee book and a process book
- Biographical or historical data
- Scott County was formed from Lee, Russell and Washington counties by a statute adopted on 24 November 1814. The county court first met on 14 February 1815. Scott County was named for General Winfied Scott, a native of Virginia, in recognition of his victories during the War of 1812. General Scott was later commanding general of the American army during the war with Mexico.
- The circuit courts were authorized by the Virginia Constitution of 1851, and were established by acts passed by the General Assembly in 1852. Since 1873 they have had exclusive jurisdiction in chancery cases. In 1904, the county court was discontinued. Probate authority was transferred entirely to the circuit courts. In this same year, the circuit courts were also given responsibility for recordation of deeds. Today, the circuit courts are the only courts of record in Virginia localities.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Scott County Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
ContextContext of Scott County (Va.) Circuit Court Records, 1859-1943
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Scott County (Va.) Circuit Court Records, 1859-1943
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/2cH5ei-bo24/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/2cH5ei-bo24/">Scott County (Va.) Circuit Court Records, 1859-1943</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...