The Resource Introduction to the Rev. Robert Rose's diary, ca. 1868
- Introduction to the Rev. Robert Rose's diary, ca. 1868
- Inclusive dates
- ca. 1868
- Introductory notes and annotations, ca. 1868, to the diary of Rev. Robert Rose (1704-1751), by Hugh Blair Grigsby (1806-1881). The notes include background information on Virginia society during 1746-1751, the period covered by Rose's diary, and Grigsby also provides annotations to various entries
- Biographical or historical data
- Hugh Blair Grigsby was born on 22 November 1806 in Norfolk, Virginia. He represented Norfolk in the state legislature,, and in 1829-1830 was a member of the State convention with Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and other noted men. He subsequently devoted himself to literature and agriculture, and was an authority on the history of Virginia. He was president of the Virginia Historical Society, and in 1871 became chancellor of The College of William and Mary, which had given him the degree of Doctor of Laws (LL. D) in 1855. He contributed to the Southern Literary Messenger, and wrote numerous historical discourses, including one on the Virginia Convention of 1829-1830 delivered before the Virginia Historical Society in 1853, and "Discourse on Hon. Littleton W. Tazewell" (Norfolk, 1860). He died in Charlotte County, Virginia in 1881.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Introduction to the Rev. Robert Rose's diary, ca. 1868
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Introduction to the Rev. Robert Rose's diary, ca. 1868
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/2eaKEJ2HgkI/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/2eaKEJ2HgkI/">Introduction to the Rev. Robert Rose's diary, ca. 1868</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...