The Resource 1796-1819
- Inclusive dates
- Maps -- Virginia | Fredericksburg
- Market House (Fredericksburg, Va.)
- Accounts -- Virginia | Fredericksburg
- Fredericksburg (Va.) -- History
- Fredericksburg (Va.)
- Business records -- Virginia | Fredericksburg
- Rent charges -- Virginia | Fredericksburg
- Local government records -- Virginia | Fredericksburg
- Markets -- Virginia | Fredericksburg
- Fredericksburg (Va.) Market House Accounts, 1796-1819, record transactions primarily involving the sell and rent of Market House lots and rooms. Information found in the accounts include lot numbers, dimensions of lots, name of individuals who rented rooms, date of transaction, length of rental period, amount due, form of payment, amount paid, date of transaction, legal service rendered, form of payment, and amount owed or paid. The accounts include a map of a portion of Market Square bordering on William Street drawn in 1813. Additional information recorded in the Market House accounts includes an account of sales of lots sold in 1796. Entries contain the following: name of purchaser, lot number, dimensions of lot, price of lot, and purchase price. The accounts also record the accounts of trustees who managed the Market House property on behalf of the city
- Biographical or historical data
- The Market House was constructed prior to 1752. It was Fredericksburg's arts and entertainment center until it was taken down in 1813 and replaced by a new building at William and Princess Anne Streets. The new building housed the Market House and Town Hall and was used for balls, sociables, public meetings and lodge rooms. The Market House comprised Fredericksburg's only legal vending place. The building now houses the Fredericksburg Area Museum and Cultural Center.
- The Market House property (lots, stalls, and rooms) was owned and managed by the city of Fredericksburg. The trustees who oversaw the Market House were answerable to the Corporation Court.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Fredericksburg (Va.) Market House Accounts
ContextContext of 1796-1819
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1796-1819
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/34PVTzFdqiQ/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/34PVTzFdqiQ/">1796-1819</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...