The Resource Charles E. Grogan , 1887
- Charles E. Grogan , 1887
- Inclusive dates
- Letter, 2 May 1887, from Charles E. Grogan (1841-1922) to the Southern Historical Society, in which he praises the endurance shown by Confederate soldiers in the Civil War, and notes the imbalance of manpower and materials between North and South. The letter appears to have been an introduction to a reminiscence by Grogan on his escape from the Union prison at Johnson's Island, Ohio, in the fall of 1863, and other vignettes from his war experience. These accounts are not included in the record. This collection is located on frames 156-178 of the reel
- Biographical or historical data
- Charles E. Grogan was born on 3 March 1841 in Clarke County, Virginia, but grew up in Baltimore, Maryland. He enlisted as a private with the 1st Maryland Regiment, Company H, on 20 July 1861. He later served as an aide to General I. R. Trimble. He was wounded in battle at Chancellorsville and again at Gettysburg, where he was taken prisoner of war on 5 July 1863. Grogan was eventually moved to Johnson's Island on Lake Erie. He escaped and made his way back to Virginia, where he joined Mosby's Rangers as a second lieutenant with Company D. After the war, he worked as a merchant in Baltimore. Charles Grogan died on 4 January 1922.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Charles E. Grogan , 1887
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Charles E. Grogan , 1887
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/3RWvpJtFQGo/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/3RWvpJtFQGo/">Charles E. Grogan , 1887</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...