The Resource Westmoreland County (Va.) Writs of Habeas Corpus, 1867, 1870
- Westmoreland County (Va.) Writs of Habeas Corpus, 1867, 1870
- Inclusive dates
- 1867, 1870
- Westmoreland County (Va) Writs of Habeas Corpus, 1867, 1870, involve disputes over custody of children fathered by slaves or free African Americans with slave women or free African American women prior to emancipation. The fathers are seeking custody of the children so that they may be declared legitimate based on an act passed by the Virginia legislature on 27 February 1866
- Biographical or historical data
- The Virginia legislature passed an act on 27 February 1866 to legalize the marriages of former slaves and provided for the legitimization of children of couples no longer cohabiting as long as the father recognized the children to be his. See Virginia Acts of Assembly, 1866-1867, Chapter 18, An act to amend and re-enact the 14th section of chapter 108 of the Code of Virginia for 1860, in regard to registers of marriage; and to legalize the marriages of colored persons now cohabiting as husband and wife.
- Westmoreland County was named for the English county. It was formed from Northumberland County in 1653. The county seat is Montross.
- Many loose papers were burned during both the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. Volumes that record deeds, court orders (except for an order book for the period 1764-1776), and wills exist.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Westmoreland County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional Westmoreland County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Digital Collection.
- The Westmoreland County (Va) Writs of Habeas Corpus, 1867, 1870 are filed with Westmoreland County (Va.) Judgments, 1739-1914 available at the Library of Virginia.
ContextContext of Westmoreland County (Va.) Writs of Habeas Corpus, 1867, 1870
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Westmoreland County (Va.) Writs of Habeas Corpus, 1867, 1870
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/3TdxT9TXHfc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/3TdxT9TXHfc/">Westmoreland County (Va.) Writs of Habeas Corpus, 1867, 1870</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...