The Resource 1898-1904
- Inclusive dates
- Cedar Creek, Battle of, Va., 1864
- Judicial records -- Virginia | Lynchburg
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1865-1933
- Letters (correspondence)
- Personal papers -- Virginia | Lynchburg
- Daniel, John W., (John Warwick), 1842-1910
- Virginia -- Politics and government -- 1865-1933
- Shelden, G.R
- Papers, 1898-1904, of John Warwick Daniel (1842-1910) of Lyncburg, Virginia, consisting of a letter, dated 9 February 1898, from John Lamb (1840-1924) of Richmond, Virginia, to Daniel, requesting Daniel's help with a political appointment; a telegram, dated 8 July 1904, from Carter W. Branch (1858-1911) of Richmond to Daniel about the 1904 Democratic National Convention; a letter, dated 29 November 1904 from Daniel to Captain G. R. Shelden of Savannah, Georgia, about the Civil War battle of Cedar Creek; a telegram, dated 9 July no year, from Egbert Giles Leigh, Jr., of Richmond to Daniel probably about the 1904 Democratic National Convention; abstracts of court cases compiled by Daniel for use in the "Jones Case;" and miscellaneous notes, possibly for a summation
- Biographical or historical data
- John Warwick Daniel was born 5 September 1842 in Lynchburg, Virginia, to William Daniel, Jr. (1806-1873) and Sarah Ann Warwick Daniel (d. 1845). Daniel attended Lynchburg College and Locust Grove Academy, but left school when the Civil War began. Commissioned a lieutenant, he rose to the rank of major and received a crippling wound at the Battle of the Wilderness. After the Civil War, Daniel began practicing law and entered politics. He served in the House of Delegates from 1869 to 1871 and in the state Senate from 1875 to 1881. Daniel was elected United States Senator by the Virginia General Assembly in 1885 and served from 1887 until his death. He represented Lynchburg in the 1901-1902 state constitutional convention, and was considered a potential vice-presidential nominee at the 1904 Democratic National Convention. Daniel married Julia Elizabeth Murrell (1850-1937) 24 November 1869. He died 29 June 1910.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
ContextContext of 1898-1904
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1898-1904
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/3YKjNj8BJHI/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/3YKjNj8BJHI/">1898-1904</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...