The Resource Botetourt County (Va.) Marriage Registers and Index, 1770-1853
- Botetourt County (Va.) Marriage Registers and Index, 1770-1853
- Inclusive dates
- Local government records -- Virginia | Botetourt County
- Marriage records -- Virginia | Botetourt County
- Marriage. -- Virginia | Botetourt County
- Indexes (reference sources) -- Virginia | Botetourt County
- Christian sects. -- Virginia | Botetourt County
- Marriage registers -- Virginia | Botetourt County
- Free African Americans. -- Virginia | Botetourt County
- Botetourt County (Va.)
- Clergy. -- Virginia | Botetourt County
- Botetourt County (Va.) -- History
- Free African Americans. -- Marriage -- Virginia | Botetourt County
- Botetourt County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1770-1853, is divided into two separate volumes. The first volume covering pages 1-346, 1770-1830, records the date of the marriage bond, the names of both parties, the names of the parents or guardians present and the names of the security or witnesses in attendance. In addition, there are a number of marriages between free persons of color--pages 165, 181, 230, 250 and 302
- The second volume covering pages 347-705, 1831-1853, essentially records the same information found in the first volume but is divided into a number of sections. Of note, there is a marriage between free persons of color on page 354. Pages 503-687 of this volume detail a separate section covering 1782-1853. The following information is included on these pages--the date of the marriage, the names of both parties, the minister's name, the religious denomination of the minister and a remarks section (which lists the authority by which a party was married--by license, by license from another county or by "banns.") Marriage banns, published in the parish church where the couple lived, constituted a legal substitute for a marriage license prior to 1848. Pages 687-689 of this volume, 1834-1852, detail information related to undated marriage licenses. Pages 691-703 of this volume, 1793-1853, record information found in additional county marriage registers and page 705 of this volume records recommendations for minister's licenses from 1781, 1784-1785
- An Index to Botetourt (Va.) Marriage Registers, 1770-1853, is a separate volume. It is arranged alphabetically from A-Z according to the last and first names of both parties. Alternate spellings of last names are included with a "see also" reference following the standard spelling. Occasionally, this volume also lists alternate names of individuals (aliases) in parentheses
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Botetourt County was formed in 1769 from Augusta County. Part of Rockbridge County was added in 1785. It was named for Norborne Berkeley, baron de Botetourt, the royal governor who served from 1768 to 1770.
- Prior to 1853, when the Commonwealth began recording vital statistics, Virginia marriages were recorded at the county or city level. Beginning in 1661, in order to be married by license, the groom was required to go before the county clerk and give bond with security that there was no lawful reason to prevent the marriage. The license, issued then by the clerk, was given to the minister who performed the service. Written consent from a parent or guardian was needed for individuals younger than twenty-one years.
- The original marriage records, from which these volumes were compiled, were created by the County Court.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Botetourt County Marriage Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records On Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
- The original compilations are found at the Library of Virginia's State Records Center.
ContextContext of Botetourt County (Va.) Marriage Registers and Index, 1770-1853
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Botetourt County (Va.) Marriage Registers and Index, 1770-1853
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/3gN0Uv9WNXs/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/3gN0Uv9WNXs/">Botetourt County (Va.) Marriage Registers and Index, 1770-1853</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...