The Resource List of officers of the State Line that are entitled to half pay, 1781
- List of officers of the State Line that are entitled to half pay, 1781
- Inclusive dates
- Contains a list of officers of the State Line that are entitled to half pay taken from the lists returned to the Executive by the boards of field officers. The list provides the regiment, strength, officer's names, rank, state when the boards sat (eg. supernumerary or service), date of commencement of half pay, amount of half pay, & amount of warrant issued. The list is certified on 18 June 1830 by William Duval before James Rawlings, alderman of the City of Richmond, as being written by Col. George Muter
- Biographical or historical data
- During its session begun in May 1779 the General Assembly granted half pay for life to officers who served to the end of the Revolutionary War, or who, if their unit was reorganized, were thereby rendered supernumerary officers subject to recall. In 1780 the General Assembly granted half pay for seven years to the widows and orphans of officers. Virginia defaulted on its half pay claims, however, and by an act of Congress passed 5 July 1832 the United States government assumed these obligations. An act of the General Assembly in May 1783 directed the auditors to issue warrants to officers of the state line and navy who are entitled to half pay. It also directed the auditors to make a return of such warrants to the General Assembly. A Board of Field Officers was directed by the governor to settle claims for half pay between 1782 and 1784.
- On December 11, 1830, the House of Delegates passed a resolution that the Committee on Revolutionary Claims enquire whether the Commonwealth has any claim to remuneration by the United States Government, for payments made, or for which Virginia is liable, to her revolutionary officers and soldiers, and what course ought to be pursued for the recovery of said claims on the General Government. The House also resolved that the Auditor of Public Accounts be directed to report a statement of the judgments rendered at the last Superior Court of Henrico, for half-pay claimed by officers of the Virginia line during the Revolutionary War.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of List of officers of the State Line that are entitled to half pay, 1781
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work List of officers of the State Line that are entitled to half pay, 1781
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/3jhaEAXnkEU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/3jhaEAXnkEU/">List of officers of the State Line that are entitled to half pay, 1781</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...