The Resource Giles, Fayette, and Kanawha Turnpike Company records, 1837-1901
- Giles, Fayette, and Kanawha Turnpike Company records, 1837-1901
- Inclusive dates
- These records contain letters sent, field notes, 19 vols., 1837, 1840-1842, reports, lists of stockholders, certificates of stock subscriptions, and petitions, covering the years 1837, 1840-1853, 1857, 1860, and 1901
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Board of Public Works (search author as Virginia Board of Public Works)
- Biographical or historical data
- An act of the General Assembly approved February 1, 1847 authorized formation of the Giles, Fayette, and Kanawha Turnpike Company as a corporation, to construct a road from Kanawha, the western terminus, to Fayette Courthouse, to New River, then to the mouth of Indian Creek to the Red Sulphur Springs, to the second crossing of the New River, where it intersects the Fincastle and Cumberland Gap Road. Prior legislation indicates the company was formed much earlier, as in April, 1839, approval was given to allow an additional two years to begin work on the road without forfeiture. An amendment in March, 1841 authorized extension of the road to the furnace of Foar and Peyton on the south side of the Kanawha River, making that point the western terminus. In March, 1849, the Board of Public Works was authorized to subscribe to an additional (sic) $8,000 in capital stock, and in March, 1850, to an additional $6,000. February, 1853, the Board of Public Works was authorized to subscribe to another $15,000 to enable the company to complete the road.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 263
- Citation source
- Board of Public Works inventory
ContextContext of Giles, Fayette, and Kanawha Turnpike Company records, 1837-1901
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Giles, Fayette, and Kanawha Turnpike Company records, 1837-1901
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/3roJtCBfLbo/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/3roJtCBfLbo/">Giles, Fayette, and Kanawha Turnpike Company records, 1837-1901</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...