The Resource Giles County (Va.) Free Negro and Slave Records, 1817-1864
- Giles County (Va.) Free Negro and Slave Records, 1817-1864
- Inclusive dates
- Local government records -- Virginia | Giles County
- Certificates -- Virginia | Giles County
- Free African Americans. -- Virginia | Giles County
- Giles County (Va.)
- Civil defense. -- Virginia | Giles County
- Free negro and slave records -- Virginia | Giles County
- Giles County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Registers (lists) -- Virginia | Giles County
- Slavery -- Law and legislation -- Virginia | Giles County
- Confederate States of America -- African American troops
- Giles County (Va.) Free Negro and Slave Records, 1817-1864. This collection contains county court records docmenting free negroes and slaves in Giles County from 1817 to 1864. The records include certificates of free negroes (1850), lists of free negroes (1817-1863), a list of free negroes and mulattoes (1844), an order for the requisition of slaves for the public defense (1863), a requisition for free negroes for the public defense (1864), petition of re-enslavement (1860), and a register of free negroes (1861)
- Certificates of free negroes contain the name of the free person, sometimes their age and a brief physical description, and a statement based either on another person's knowledge or on other official documentary evidence seen by the certifier that this person was either born free or was emancipated. If born free, reference is sometimes made to parents. If emancipated, emancipating owner, place and date of emancipation, and prior registration as a free negro are usually mentioned
- Petition of re-enslavement of Martha Brown, 1860. She petitions the court to be enslaved to William W. McComas
- Lists of free negroes (and mulattoes) contain names, gender, residence, and trade of each free negro. The register of free negroes includes names and birthdates
- Also included is a requisition, signed by authorizing Confederate officers, for free negroes to supply the places of soldiers detailed in the ranks as mechanics and laborers
- Additional physical form
- are available on Giles County (Va.) Reel 63.
- Biographical or historical data
- Giles County was formed in 1806 from Montgomery, Monroe (West Virginia), and Tazewell Counties. Part of Wythe County added in 1808, parts of Tazewell County added in 1826 and 1836, part of Monroe (West Virginia) County added in 1829, part of Mercer (West Virginia) was added in 1841, and part of Craig County added in 1858.
- An act passed by the Virginia legislature in 1803 required every free negro or mulatto to be registered and numbered in a book to be kept by the county clerk.
- An 1863 order, at the request of the President of the Confederate States, "An Act to Further Provide for the Public Defence," was passed by the Virginia General Assembly directing that certain counties submit a specified number of slaves for labor on fortifications and other aspects of the public defense.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Giles County (Va.) Free Negro and Slave Records, 1817-1864
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Giles County (Va.) Free Negro and Slave Records, 1817-1864
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/49NXk1exHm0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/49NXk1exHm0/">Giles County (Va.) Free Negro and Slave Records, 1817-1864</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...