The Resource Old dominion barn dance,, 1950 Oct. 23
- Old dominion barn dance,, 1950 Oct. 23
- Inclusive dates
- 1950 Oct. 23
- Hosted by Sunshine Sue (Mary Higdon Workman). Contains Grandpa Jones singing "Daisy Dean Old Time," Sunshine Sue singing "Old Wooden Rocker," Toby Stroud singing "I'll Be Around if You Need Me," and fiddle music with no vocals. Also includes commercials for Chase and Sanborn Coffee, Tender Leaf Tea, Pertussin Cough syrup, and Stanback aspirin
- Biographical or historical data
- The Old Dominion Barn Dance began broadcasting from the WRVA Theater (formerly the old Lyric Theater) at 9th and Broad Streets in September 1946. Emceed by Sunshine Sue (Mary Higdon Workman), this country music program included such performers as the Carter Sisters, Grandpa Jones and Ramona, the Saddle Sweethearts, Cousin Crazy Joe Maphis, the Tobacco Tags, Quincy Snodgrass, Toby Stroud, Buster Puffenbarger, Curley Collins, Benny Kissinger, Mac Wiseman, and Little Robert, among many others. On Saturday nights, the Old Dominion Barn Dance performed before live audiences at 7:30 and 9:30. The program also aired three times daily Monday through Friday as a transcribed quarter-hour program. The show broadcast on WRVA until 1957.
- Cataloging source
- Format of music
- not applicable
- Funding information
- Reformatting was funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission
ContextContext of Old dominion barn dance,, 1950 Oct. 23
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Old dominion barn dance,, 1950 Oct. 23
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/4RcKNC_qKtI/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/4RcKNC_qKtI/">Old dominion barn dance,, 1950 Oct. 23</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...