The Resource Hanover County (Va.) Deeds and Land Grants, 1727-1857.
- Hanover County (Va.) Deeds and Land Grants, 1727-1857.
- Inclusive dates
- Local government records -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Land records -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Hanover County (Va.)
- Public records -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Land grants -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Deeds -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Hanover County (Va.) -- History -- 18th century
- Hanover County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Hanover County (Va.) Deeds and Land Grants, 1727-1857. The collection contains 20 deeds and 2 land grants. Includes a grant of a lot in Hanover Town to Thomas Smith, 1780 June 6, signed by Governor Thomas Jefferson
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Hanover County was named for George I, who at the time of his accession to the English throne was elector of Hanover in Germany. The county was formed from New Kent County in 1720.
- Most county court records, particularly deeds, wills, and marriage records, were destroyed by fire in Richmond on 3 April 1865, where they had been moved for safekeeping during the Civil War. The circuit court records were not moved to Richmond and were relatively unscathed. Consequently, there is a strong run of common law papers and chancery papers after 1831 that were generated by the circuit superior court of law and chancery and its successor, the circuit court.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Hanover County Land Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia City and County Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia web site.
- Hanover County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional Hanover County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Digital Collection.
ContextContext of Hanover County (Va.) Deeds and Land Grants, 1727-1857.
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Hanover County (Va.) Deeds and Land Grants, 1727-1857.
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/4bFQW8qUNvs/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/4bFQW8qUNvs/">Hanover County (Va.) Deeds and Land Grants, 1727-1857.</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...