The Resource Summary of state officers during the Revolutionary War, ca. 1783
- Summary of state officers during the Revolutionary War, ca. 1783
- Inclusive dates
- ca. 1783
- Contains a summary of legislation respecting officers of the Virginia State Line and the formation of the Virginia state regiments, State Garrison Regiment, Virginia State Artillery, and Illinois Regiment between 1776 and 1783
- Biographical or historical data
- The Virginia General Assembly created three regiments of infantry during the Revolutionary War to serve within the state. These units were separate from the state's quota in the Continental Line. Virginia State Line units were often placed in the Continental Line to replenish killed or captured troops. Although they were originally to serve exclusively within the limits of Virginia, most of the state units were sent outside the state. In December 1779, Maj. John Nelson was authorized to raise a cavalry regiment within Virginia. George Rogers Clark's Illinois Regiment became the largest Virginia State Line regiment. The Virginia State Line was rearranged on four occassions beginining with the merger of the 1st & 3rd State regiments in January 1778. In February 1782, the Virginia State Line units, with the exception of Clark's Illinois Regiment & Joseph Crockett's Western Battalion, merged with Col. Charles Dabney's Virginia State Legion. Dabney's Legion disbanded on 24 April 1783.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Summary of state officers during the Revolutionary War, ca. 1783
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Summary of state officers during the Revolutionary War, ca. 1783
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/4cG__-eRBjk/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/4cG__-eRBjk/">Summary of state officers during the Revolutionary War, ca. 1783</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...