The Resource Scott County (Va.) Court Records, 1815-1942, undated
- Scott County (Va.) Court Records, 1815-1942, undated
- Inclusive dates
- 1815-1942, undated
- Scott County (Va.) Court Records, 1815-1942, undated, are comprised of various volumes and loose records (both processed and unprocessed.) The volumes, 1819-1909, consist of 2 execution books, 1 memorandum book, 1 witness attendance book, 1 fee book, 1 book containing attachments, appeals and motions and 1 execution at law book. The loose records consist of 4 boxes of county court and justice of the peace executions, 116 boxes of judgments (1815-1910), 12 boxes of commonwealth causes (1815-1921), 1 box of causes determined, causes determined at law and common law causes, 5 boxes of criminal records (including warrants, an oversized indictment, recognizances, 1815 Jul.-1896 Jun. and undated, affidavits for William Peters in the suit of Confederate States of America versus William Peters - charge of harboring, 1863 and other record types), 1 box of chancery executions, 1 box of judgments, affidavits and declarations, 6 boxes of additional judgments (one of which contains Atkinson's Saturday Washington Post newspaper) , 1 box of unprocessed judgments, 1 box containing a variety of judgments (unlawful detainers [1867, 1870], warrants[1823 Nov.-1916 Mar.], writ of habeas corpus, writs of possession[1897, 1899] and a writ of supersedes and 2 boxes containing items related to judgments (summons[1823-1911], transcript Record[1867-1884], writ of error. Debts owed to James Fullen (exhibits in unidentified court case), 1815-1825 ca. Debts owed to William H. Fisher (exhibits in unidentified court case in which Wolfe and others were parties in suit) 1820-1830 ca; petitions[1843-1915], exceptions, orders, scire facias[1819-1877], sheriff report of sales, statement of proceedings, subpoenas[1815-1923], suggestions[1872-1891], summons[1815-1822] and one box of Clerks' Records, Jury Records and Court Finance Records
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Scott County was formed from Lee, Russell and Washington counties by a statute adopted on 24 November 1814. The county court first met on 14 February 1815. Scott County was named for General Winfied Scott, a native of Virginia, in recognition of his victories during the War of 1812. General Scott was later commanding general of the American army during the war with Mexico.
- These records were originally created by the County, Circuit Superior Court of Law and Chancery and Circuit Courts.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Scott County Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
ContextContext of Scott County (Va.) Court Records, 1815-1942, undated
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Scott County (Va.) Court Records, 1815-1942, undated
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/4lO9VafpqZg/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/4lO9VafpqZg/">Scott County (Va.) Court Records, 1815-1942, undated</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...