The Resource Norfolk County (Va.) Lists of tithables and taxable property, 1732-1783
- Norfolk County (Va.) Lists of tithables and taxable property, 1732-1783
- Inclusive dates
- Tithable lists -- Virginia | Norfolk County
- Slaves -- Virginia | Norfolk County
- Tax and fiscal records -- Virginia | Norfolk County
- Norfolk County (Va.) -- History -- 18th century
- Chesapeake (Va.)
- Local government records -- Virginia | Norfolk County
- Chesapeake (Va.) -- History
- Taxation. -- Virginia | Norfolk County
- Norfolk County (Va.) Lists of Tithables and Taxable Property, 1732-1783. Consists of manuscript lists of tithable heads of household in the county for the years 1732 through 1781 and taxable property lists for 1782 and 1783. Information recorded includes name of head of hosehold, name of slave owners, and names of enslved people. Also included are loose and partial lists of tithables. The former were used to compile the final lists. The loose and partial lists are arranged at the end of each box
- A donation to the Library of Virginia's Adopt Virginia's History program by the National Society Daughters of the Barons of Runnemede has helped to fund the conservation for Norfolk Tithables, Norfolk County, Virginia, 1745-1777 (Barcode number 0007686900)
- Biographical or historical data
- Norfolk County was formed from Lower Norfolk County in 1691. Now extinct, Norfolk County was incorporated into the city of Chesapeake in 1963.
- In seventeenth- and eighteenth-century Virginia, the term "tithable" referred to a person who paid (or for whom someone else paid) one of the taxes imposed by the General Assembly for the support of civil government in the colony. In colonial Virginia, a poll tax or capitation tax was assessed on free white males, African American slaves, and Native American servants (both male and female), all age sixteen or older. Owners and masters paid the taxes levied on their slaves and servants. For a more detailed history of tithables, consult "Colonial Tithables" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- See barcode number 1114824.
ContextContext of Norfolk County (Va.) Lists of tithables and taxable property, 1732-1783
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Norfolk County (Va.) Lists of tithables and taxable property, 1732-1783
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/4t1Fihp3IPI/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/4t1Fihp3IPI/">Norfolk County (Va.) Lists of tithables and taxable property, 1732-1783</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...