The Resource Alexander Hugh Holmes Stuart essay, 1890
- Alexander Hugh Holmes Stuart essay, 1890
- Inclusive dates
- Essay, 1890, entitled "Archibald Stuart 1757-1832, A biographical sketch by his son." The essay details Stuart's life as Revolutionary War soldier, lawyer, and member of the Virginia House of Delegates from Staunton, Virginia. Located on microfilm frames 266-288
- Biographical or historical data
- Alexander Hugh Holmes Stuart was born 2 April 1807 in Staunton, Virginia, to Archibald Stuart (1757-1832) and Eleanor Briscoe Stuart (1767-1858). He attended the College of William and Mary and studied law at the University of Virginia. Stuart received his law license in 1828. Stuart represented Augusta County in the Virginia House of Delegates from 1836 to 1839. He served in the United States Congress from 1841 to 1843, and in 1850, was appointed Secretary of the Interior by President Millard Fillmore (1800-1874), serving until Fillmore’s term ended in 1853. Stuart then served in the Virginia Senate from 1857 to 1861, and represented Augusta County in the Virginia Secession Convention of 1861. After the Civil War, he was again elected to the United States Congress, but was refused his seat. Stuart headed the Committee of Nine which was instrumental in having Virginia readmitted to the Union in 1870. He again represented Augusta County in the House of Delegates from 1874 to 1877, chairing the committee of finance. Stuart was rector of the University of Virginia from 1876 to 1882 and from 1884 to 1886. He married Frances Cornelia Baldwin (ca. 1816-1885) 1 August 1833, and they had nine children. Stuart died in Staunton 13 February 1891.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Alexander Hugh Holmes Stuart essay, 1890
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Alexander Hugh Holmes Stuart essay, 1890
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/4vmVRgFCoMg/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/4vmVRgFCoMg/">Alexander Hugh Holmes Stuart essay, 1890</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...