The Resource Agency history of the Virginia State Board of Elections
- Agency history of the Virginia State Board of Elections
- Biographical or historical data
- The State Board of Elections was created by an act of the General Assembly passed on March 26 1946. The act granted the board supervisory powers earlier exercised by the secretary of the commonwealth and the Board of State Canvassers over elections. The primary functions of the State Board of Elections are to supervise and coordinate the work of county and city electoral boards and of registrars to obtain uniformity in election proceedings and legality in all elections.
- The State Board of Elections consists of three members who are appointed by the Governor subject to confirmation by the General Assembly. A majority of the Board is appointed from the political party which cast the highest number of votes in the Commonwealth for Governor at the last preceding gubernatorial election. The regular term of office is four years, and no member of the Board except the secretary is eligible for more than two successive terms.
- The Board issues rules and regulations to guide the work of the electoral boards and registrars. The Board is empowered to remove from office any election official who fails to discharge the duties of his office, and it may request assistance from the office of the Attorney General to enforce election laws or prosecute any violations.
- The Board is also responsible for establishing and maintaining a central record-keeping system to provide a roster of all qualified voters in the Commonwealth by county or city and by the precincts within each county or city. The roster must be purged regularly to delete the names of disqualified voters.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Agency history of the Virginia State Board of Elections
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Agency history of the Virginia State Board of Elections
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/5t9mbpM26cQ/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/5t9mbpM26cQ/">Agency history of the Virginia State Board of Elections</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...