The Resource Constitutional Convention of 1901-1902 check book, 1901-1902
- Constitutional Convention of 1901-1902 check book, 1901-1902
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: Constitutional Conventions - Convention of 1901-1902
- Volume contains dates and amounts of payments to delegates for mileage and expenditures for the period from 18 June 1901 to 7 August 1902
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) (Search as Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928))
- Biographical or historical data
- At the close of the nineteenth century, Virginia's Democrat-controlled General Assembly called for a convention to revise the Underwood Constitution, and the voters of Virginia approved the call in a spring 1900 referendum. The political forces that led to the convention of 1901-1902 were many: electoral reform, streamlining the state's judicial system, the need for primary elections to nominate candidates for the United States Senate, and regulation of the railroads. Democratic party leaders from the eastern and southern portions of the state sought to deny the vote to blacks, whose allegiance to the Republican party made it formidable, and public sought support for disfranchisement was growing. The voters elected twelve Republicans and 88 Democratic delegates to the convention that met in two sessions between 12 June 1901 and 26 June 1902.
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 137
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of Constitutional Convention of 1901-1902 check book, 1901-1902
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Constitutional Convention of 1901-1902 check book, 1901-1902
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/6Fx6qa0eAho/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/6Fx6qa0eAho/">Constitutional Convention of 1901-1902 check book, 1901-1902</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...