The Resource 1798-1857
- Inclusive dates
- Gloucester County (Va.) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century
- Wills -- Virginia | Gloucester County
- Smart, William Robert, 1784-1840
- Personal papers
- Smart, William Robert, b. 1827
- Marriage certificates
- Wills -- Virginia | Mathews County
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1783-1865
- Immigrants -- Virginia
- Letters (correspondence)
- Smart family
- Virginia -- Social life and customs -- 1783-1865
- Papers, 1798-1857, of William Smart of Gloucester County, Virginia, including affidavits, correspondence, currency, deeds, journals, marriage certificate, and wills. Of note is an autobiography of William Smart, which includes a description of his arrival in the United States, and a journal of the voyage from England to the United States written by his father, William Smart, Sr., in 1798
- Includes correspondence, dated 1800-1812, written to relatives on topics such as family, health, employment, descriptions of Virginia, and views of the political situation in the United States. Includes a letter, dated 16 January 1812, describing the Richmond Theater fire of 26 December 1811. Other correspondence relates to a claim on the estate of Thomas Dickinson by Smart. Also included are cocktail recipes, a marriage certificate of William and A. Rosaline Carter, publications, and notes of sermons, 1805-1839
- Biographical or historical data
- William Robert Smart, Sr. (1784-1840) was the son of William Smart and Ann (Paybody) Smart of Scotland. The Smart family arrived in York County, Virginia in 1798. William's parents, William and Ann, died shortly after their arrival, in 1799. The Smart children were taken in by various families. William Smart was taken in by William Rogers and grew up in Gloucester County, Virginia, where he became a silversmith.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Location of originals duplicates
- Originals at the Mary Ball Washington Museum and Library, Lancaster, Virginia.
ContextContext of 1798-1857
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1798-1857
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/6YA0_1bOwfw/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/6YA0_1bOwfw/">1798-1857</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...