The Resource Williamsburg (Va.) Records of City Council, 1879-1919
- Williamsburg (Va.) Records of City Council, 1879-1919
- Inclusive dates
- Streets. -- Virginia | Williamsburg
- Health boards. -- Virginia | Williamsburg
- Williamsburg (Va.) -- History
- Minute books -- Virginia | Williamsburg
- Public records -- Virginia | Williamsburg
- Williamsburg (Va.)
- Minutes -- Virginia | Williamsburg
- Local government records -- Virginia | Williamsburg
- City councils -- Virginia | Williamsburg
- Williamsburg (Va.) Records of City Council, 1879-1919, consist of meeting minutes and financial transactions of the city council of Williamsburg. They record reports made to the council by the mayor, police chief, health commissioner, treasurer, street commission, and other town committees; adoption of ordinances and resolutions; petitions to the city council; and funds collected and disbursed
- Biographical or historical data
- The City of Williamsburg, in James City and York Counties, was established by the General Assembly as Middle Plantation in 1633. After the capitol building at Jamestown burned in 1698, the assembly decided to move the capital of the colony to Middle Plantation, which was renamed Williamsburg in 1699 in honor of William III. Williamsburg was established in 1699 and declared a "city Incorporate" in 1722, although its actual status was that of a borough. It served as the capital of Virginia from 1699 until 1780. Williamsburg was incorporated as a city in 1884.
- James City County was named for James I. It was one of the eight shires established in 1634. Parts of New Kent and York Counties were added later. The county seat is Williamsburg.
- During the Civil War, the records of James City County and Williamsburg were transferred to Richmond for safekeeping but were destroyed by fire in Richmond on 3 April 1865.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Williamsburg records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia web site.
- James City County/Williamsburg County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional James City County/Williamsburg County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Digital Collection.
ContextContext of Williamsburg (Va.) Records of City Council, 1879-1919
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Williamsburg (Va.) Records of City Council, 1879-1919
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/6z89NJ44xnE/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/6z89NJ44xnE/">Williamsburg (Va.) Records of City Council, 1879-1919</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...