The Resource 1833-1877
- Inclusive dates
- Papers, 1833-1877, of Samuel Miller (1792-1869) of Lynchburg, Virginia. Includes correspondence from companies in Richmond, New York, and London concerning sales and shipments of tobacco, accounts of sales of tobacco, accounts for shipping tolls and charges, and prices current circulars. There is also correspondence and circulars from the Bank of Kentucky. Also included in this collection are copies of letters written by Miller to the firm of R.H. Maury & Co. in Richmond concerning the purchase and sale of stocks and bonds. There are letters regarding his estate following his death concerning bequests made in his will to his former slaves. Finally, there are papers relating to the establishment and incorporation of the Miller Manual Labor School in Albemarle County, Virginia
- Biographical or historical data
- Samuel Miller was born 30 June 1792 near Batesville, Albemarle County, Virginia. He began his career as a teacher, but soon went to Lynchburg to join his brother in the mercantile business. He then became involved in buying and selling tobacco. Samuel Miller never married. In 1869, shortly before his death, he executed a trust for the formation of the Miller Manual Labor School, a school of experimental and practical agriculture, in Albemarle County, at the University of Virginia. Miller died on 27 March 1869.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of 1833-1877
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1833-1877
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/7hUHoWJWUtM/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/7hUHoWJWUtM/">1833-1877</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...