The Resource 1885-1894
- Inclusive dates
- Robert E. Lee Camp Confederate Soldiers' Home (Richmond, Va.)
- Soldiers' homes -- Virginia | Richmond
- Administrative agencies -- Virginia
- State government records -- Virginia
- Terry, William R., (William Richard), 1817-1897
- Pollard, James
- Letters (correspondence)
- Veterans -- Confederate States of America
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Richmond (Va.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Letters, 1885-1894, addressed to James Pollard and William R. Terry regarding disabled veterans applying for admission to the Home. Also included are letters relating to the affairs of the inmates, management, finances, and charitable contributions to the Home. Included are a few letters dealing with establishment of similar homes in Texas and North Carolina
- Biographical or historical data
- The Robert E. Lee Camp, No. 1, Confederate Veterans Soldiers' Home (also called Confederate Soldier's Home, Confederate Veterans Soldiers' Home, R. E. Lee Camp Soldiers' Home, or Old Soldiers' Home) opened in 1 January 1885, on the corner of Grace Ave. and the Boulevard, Richmond, Va. It was incorporated 13 March 1885. Fitzhugh Lee headed the Board of Visitors that also included John Barry Purcell, Peyton Wise, and James West Pegram. In April 1886 General William Richard Terry replaced Capt. James Pollard as superintendent and served there until his retirement in 1893. The Home was closed in 1941, upon the death of its last resident.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of 1885-1894
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1885-1894
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/7x5VHw7iLZ8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/7x5VHw7iLZ8/">1885-1894</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...