The Resource Governor's Highway Safety Committee, 1963-1966
- Governor's Highway Safety Committee, 1963-1966
- Inclusive dates
- Traffic accidents -- Virginia -- Prevention
- Motor vehicles -- Law and legislation -- Virginia
- Traffic accidents -- Prevention | Study and teaching
- broadcast advertizing. -- Virginia
- State government records -- Virginia
- Harrison, Albertis S., (Albertis Sydney), 1907-1995
- Richmond (Va.) -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Motor vehicle driving
- Radio scripts
- This collection consists of radio spot scripts, written to encourage safe driving
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Dept. of Transportation. (Search Virginia Dept. of Transportation as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- The State Highway Commission was reconstituted in 1922. The General Assembly passed an act on March 24, 1922, placing the State Highway System under the authority of the commission, which was headed by a chairman who appointed the state highway commissioner. The duties of the commissioner were transferred to the chairman of the State Highway Commission by an act of the General Assembly passed on March 21, 1924, and the office of commissioner was abolished. The state government reorganization act passed by the General Assembly on April 18, 1927, designated the chairman of the State Highway Commission as state highway commissioner and establishd the Dept. of Highways as a state agency. An act passed on April 7, 1974, changed the commission’s name to the State Highway and Transportation Commission and the department to the Dept. of Highways and Transportation, adding rail and public transportation to its jurisdiction. In 1985 the commission became the Virginia Highway and Transportation Board and in 1987 the board’s name was changed to the Commonwealth Transportation Board. The is board is responsible for locating routes, letting construction contracts, creating traffic regulations, naming highways, gathering and tabulating information and statistics, entering into contracts with other states, and administering and allocating the Transportation Trust Fund. In the 1987 the board’s duties were expanded to include the additional responsibility of coordinating the planning for the financing of transportation needs, including the needs for highways, railways, seaports, airports and public transportation.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Governor's Highway Safety Committee, 1963-1966
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Governor's Highway Safety Committee, 1963-1966
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/89eEg71AsUo/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/89eEg71AsUo/">Governor's Highway Safety Committee, 1963-1966</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...