The Resource Lunenburg County (Va.) Township Records, 1870-1875
- Lunenburg County (Va.) Township Records, 1870-1875
- Inclusive dates
- Local finance -- Virginia | Lunenburg County
- Lunenburg County (Va.)
- Accounts -- Virginia | Lunenburg County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Lunenburg County
- Lunenburg County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- County government. -- Records and correspondence -- Virginia | Lunenburg County
- Township records -- Virginia | Lunenburg County
- Minute books -- Virginia | Lunenburg County
- Local government. -- Virginia | Lunenburg County
- Account books -- Virginia | Lunenburg County
- Public records -- Virginia | Lunenburg County
- Lunenburg County (Va.) Township Records, 1870-1875, consist of three volumes relating to the administrative functions of the township boards of the county
- Brown's Store Township Minute Book, 1871-1875, consists of minutes and accounts. Information recorded includes road overseer appointments and resignations, division of the township into road districts, appointment of elections, establishment of tax and levy rates, establishment of rates allowed for road work, purchasing of land for the purpose of a township court house, accounts allowed against the township board, alteration of road districts, road accounts, and other financial accounts
- Rehoboth Township Account Book, 1871-1875, records various financial accounts including warrants drawn upon the treasurer, collector's receipts and disbursements, treasurer's accounts, receipts of township money, and disbursements of township money
- Rehoboth Township Minute Book, 1870-1875, consists of minutes and accounts. Information recorded includes names of board members, election of road overseers, procurement of stationery and supplies for township officials, establishment of tax and levy rates, taxes for support of roads and the township poor, accounts claimed against the township, report from the township collector, report of road overseers, discussion of the creation of new roads, orders for support of various named paupers, taxes for support of a public school, payments made to township officials, alteration of road districts, examination of road accounts, and presentations of various accounts to the township board including a final settlement of township accounts
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Lunenburg County was named for George II, duke of Brunswick-Luneburg, a German possession of the Hanoverian kings of England. It was formed from Brunswick County in 1745.
- The 1870 Virginia Constitution required that each county in the state be divided into no less than three townships (see Article VII, section 2). Based on the New England administrative organization of a county, each township would elect the administration officials for the offices of supervisor, clerk, assessor, collector, commissioner of the roads, overseer of the poor, justice of the peace, and constable. The supervisors of each township would comprise the board of supervisors for the county, and would be responsible for auditing the county accounts, examining the assessors' books, regulating property valuation, and fixing the county levies. The Acts of Assembly provided that each township be divided into school and electoral districts (see Acts of Assembly 1869-1870, Chapter 39). A constitutional amendment in 1874 changed the townships into magisterial districts and each district elected one supervisor, three justices of the peace, one constable, and one overseer of the poor. The supervisors of the districts made up the county board of supervisors whose duties were identical as those set out in 1870. The published Acts of Assembly appended a list of township names by county following the acts for every year that townships existed in Virginia.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Lunenburg County (Va.) Township Records, 1870-1875
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Lunenburg County (Va.) Township Records, 1870-1875
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/8VNDRqF5TcY/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/8VNDRqF5TcY/">Lunenburg County (Va.) Township Records, 1870-1875</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...