The Resource Journals, 1781-1783
- Journals, 1781-1783
- Inclusive dates
- Northwest, Old -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Illinois Department (Va.)
- Illinois County (Va.) -- Claims
- Ohio County (W. Va.) -- Claims
- Journals (accounts)
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1775-1783
- State government records -- Virginia
- Pollock, Oliver, 1737-1823
- Clark, George Rogers, 1752-1818
- Claims -- Virginia
- Kentucky County (Va.) -- Claims
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: Military Expenditures - Revolutionary War. Illinois Department. Board of Western Commissioners
- The Board of Western Commissioners kept a rough journal of its proceedings and decisions. Later a finished journal was prepared followed by an extract from the finished journal. This series consists of the following records: I. Rough journal, 20 Dec. 1781-1783; II. Finished journal, 20 Dec. 1781-1 July 1783; III. Copy of finished journal (extract), 1 Nov. 1782-28 June 1783
- Journal (rough draft), 1782 Nov 1-1783 June 28, 184 p. (numbered 1-185 and lacking p. 132). Restored and bound. Arranged chronologically with index (p. 159-185). Listed in Calendar of Transcripts as Vol. 7 (George Rogers Clark Expedition, p. 89). Appears to be a minute book, copy of record of proceedings of the commissioners sitting and liquidating claims in the Western County. See original below for full description
- Journal (original), 1782 Nov 1-1783 June 28, 303 p. (numbered 1-29, 30-93, 95-201, 256-299, 300-303). Restored and bound. Arranged chronologically with index (p. 256-299). This volume is a record of the proceedings of the the 'Commissioners for setting and liquidating claims in the Western County' composed of William Fleming, Thomas Marshall, Samuel McDowell, and Caleb Wallace with John McDowell as secretary, meeting at Harodsburg, Lexington, New Holland, Botetourt County and other places in the neighborhood, and then in Richmond after June 14. Index is arranged as an account in various bundles numerically by the voucher numer and indicates the page number in the journal on which that claim is settled, and the sum allowed. Some occasional margin notations. Before page 1 there is an order of council dated July 1, 1783, relating to settlement of claims. Bound in at the back is a loose page explaining arrangement of bundles
- Journal (manuscript copy), 1782 Nov 1-1783 June 28, 258 p., numbered 1,a-b - 201, 256-301. Arranged chronologically with index (p. 256-301). Identified in Calendar of Transcripts as Volume 9 of George Rogers Clarke Expedition records (p. 89) - A copy of the Journal of the Board of Western Commissioners. This volume is a record of the proceedings of the the 'Commissioners for setting and liquidating claims in the Western County' composed of William Fleming, Thomas Marshall, Samuel McDowell, and Caleb Wallace with John McDowell as secretary, meeting at Harodsburg, Lexington, New Holland, Botetourt County and other places in the neighborhood, and then in Richmond after June 14. The index is arranged as an account in various bundles numerically by the voucher number and indicates the page in the Journal on which the claim is settled and also provides the sum allowed. Two orders of council dated July 1 and July 5, 1783 regarding settlement of claims. Letter, June 28, 1783, transmitting this journal to the Executive is filed in Letters Received. Note - this index in this volume may hold the key to the arrangement of the George Rogers Clark vouchers by bundles and number
- Forms part of the records of Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts. Record VASV90-A1942 describes the history and function of the Virginia Board of Western Commissioners. (Search as: a/Virginia Board of Western Commissioners).
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) (Search as Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928))
- Biographical or historical data
- On 21 June 1781 the General Assembly passed a resolution requiring the governor and Council to settle the accounts of George Rogers Clark, Oliver Pollack, and others involved in the conquest of the "Western Country" (Kentucky, Illinois, and Ohio). Accordingly, on 20 July 1781, the Council appointed the five members of the Board of Western Commissioners. They traveled to the Falls of the Ohio (Louisville) and attempted to settle all the claims that were presented to them. By 1 July 1783, the commissioners had presented their findings to the Council and disbanded.
ContextContext of Journals, 1781-1783
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Journals, 1781-1783
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/8kprhbX_ZC4/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/8kprhbX_ZC4/">Journals, 1781-1783</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...