The Resource Prince William County (Va.) Town of Brentsville Minute Book, 1882-1891
- Prince William County (Va.) Town of Brentsville Minute Book, 1882-1891
- Inclusive dates
- Prince William County (Va.) Town of Brentsville Mintue Book, 1882-1891, covers the time period when the town was Prince William County's fourth county seat
- Biographical or historical data
- Prince William County was formed from Stafford and King George Counties by a statute adopted in 1730, to take effect on 12 March 1731. The county was named for William Augustus, duke of Cumberland and third son of King George II.
- Many pre–Civil War records were lost, destroyed, or stolen by Union troops in 1863 during the Civil War. Sixteen deed books and five will books are missing.
- The land that the town now encompasses was originally part of the Brent Town Grant of 1687. George Brent and three others were granted 30,000 acres by King James II to exercise their religion. These men were among the first English Catholic settlers in Virginia.
- The town of Brentsville was created by the General Assembly in 1820. The town was originally laid out in a grid pattern on 50 acres. As residents continued to move farther west for better farm land, officials moved the county seat from Dumfries to Brentsville in 1822. The town grew around the new county courthouse. In 1893, the county seat was moved to Manassas. Four of the six historic structures in the town survived the Civil War--the courthouse, the jail, a log cabin and the "White House."
- This volume was originally created by the town's Corporation Court.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Prince William County Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
- Prince William County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional Prince William County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Digital Collection.
ContextContext of Prince William County (Va.) Town of Brentsville Minute Book, 1882-1891
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Prince William County (Va.) Town of Brentsville Minute Book, 1882-1891
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/8sBbGrsDTvM/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/8sBbGrsDTvM/">Prince William County (Va.) Town of Brentsville Minute Book, 1882-1891</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...