The Resource Orange County (Va.) Revolutionary War Pension Records, 1813-1854
- Orange County (Va.) Revolutionary War Pension Records, 1813-1854
- Inclusive dates
- Orange County (Va.)
- Local government records -- Virginia | Orange County
- Veterans. -- Virginia | Orange County
- Affidavits -- Virginia | Orange County
- Virginia -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Military pensions. -- Virginia | Orange County
- Declarations -- Virginia | Orange County
- Orange County (Va.) -- History
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Orange County (Va.) Revolutionary War Pension Records, 1813-1854, predominantly consists of declarations of Revolutionary War veterans seeking to obtain pensions under an acts of Congress passed 1818 March 18, 1820 May 1, and and 1832 June 7. The applicants present testimony of their time of service during the Revolutionary War. Information generally found in the declarations include date and location applicants entered into service, names of military companies they served in, names of military commanders they served under, names of fellow soldiers they served with, length of service, their age, and their place of birth. The predominant portion of the declarations are narratives of their tours of duty during the Revolutionary War with emphasis on battles they fought. The declarations may include affidavits from witnesses who could verify information provided by applicants. They may also include a schedule of veteran's property and names of heirs
- The collection also includes certificates of Revolutionary War service and Revolutionary War claims papers that include names of heirs
- Biographical or historical data
- Orange County, according to most accounts, was named for William of Orange, the Dutch prince who became King William III of England in 1688. It is more probable, however, that it was named for William IV, prince of Orange-Nassau, who married Anne, eldest daughter of King George II, in 1734-the year that Orange County was formed from Spotsylvania County. The county court first met on 21 January 1735. The county seat is Orange.
- On 1832 June 7, Congress enacted pension legislation extending benefits more universally than under any previous legislation. This act provided for full pay for life for all officers and enlisted men who served at least 2 years in the Continental Line, the state troops or militia, the navy or marines. Men who served less than 2 years but at least 6 months were granted pensions of less than full pay. Benefits were payable effective March 4, 1831, without regard to financial need or disability and widows or children of Revolutionary War veterans were entitled to collect any unpaid benefits due from the last payment to a veteran until his death.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Orange County Military and Pension Records can be found on microfilm at The Library of Virginia web site. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm"
ContextContext of Orange County (Va.) Revolutionary War Pension Records, 1813-1854
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Orange County (Va.) Revolutionary War Pension Records, 1813-1854
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/94RF-3gZRq8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/94RF-3gZRq8/">Orange County (Va.) Revolutionary War Pension Records, 1813-1854</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...