The Resource 1854-1860
- Inclusive dates
- Equity -- Virginia | Gloucester County
- Harwood, Thomas S
- Gloucester County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Cashbooks -- Virginia | Gloucester County
- Estate administration records -- Virginia | Gloucester County
- Lawyers -- Virginia | Gloucester County
- Kemp, Wyndham
- Executors and administrators -- Virginia | Gloucester County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Gloucester County
- Ledgers (account books) -- Virginia | Gloucester County
- This accession consists of a cashbook and a ledger kept by Wyndham Kemp as executor of Thomas S. Harwood's estate
- Cashbook, 1856-1859, records, in chronological order, cash received and cash paid. The left page of volume records cash amount received for miscellaneous services rendered, and the right page records cash amount paid for miscellaneous expenses
- Ledger, 1854-1860, records the accounts of individual customers and the attorney's controlling accounts. Each account lists transactions in chronological order. Information found in each entry includes date of transaction, account paid into or name of of payer, and amount owed or paid. Entries include page number of missing corresponding volume or volumes. Controlling accounts include law profession account, expense account, interest account, and cash account
- Biographical or historical data
- The cashbook and ledger were used as evidence in a chancery case heard in Gloucester County Circuit Court in 1886 entitled Mary E. Harwood versus Wyndham Kemp and others. The plaintiff accused the defendant of using his position as executor of Thomas S. Harwood to exploit Harwood's estate for his own personal gain. The court ordered all papers and books kept by Kemp as Harwood's executor to be audited by a special commission and a report made.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Wyndham Kemp Cashbook and Ledger
- Location of other archival material
- For additional information see the Gloucester County Chancery Cause, Mary E. Harwood versus Wyndham Kemp and others. It can be found in the Local Records Collection at the Library of Virginia. The index number is 1886-005.
ContextContext of 1854-1860
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1854-1860
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/97rRg4PgBAU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/97rRg4PgBAU/">1854-1860</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...