The Resource Virginia Dept. of the Treasury, Unclaimed Property : Papers of Joseph R. Owens, 1914-1926
- Virginia Dept. of the Treasury, Unclaimed Property : Papers of Joseph R. Owens, 1914-1926
- Inclusive dates
- This collection consists of unclaimed property personal papers (Accession 42943) delivered to the Virginia Dept. of the Treasury from banks, executors, administrators or any other safekeeping repositories who have come into the possession of unclaimed property. Typically these personal papers will include correspondence, financial records, and legal or business papers from estates with unknown heirs
- Lot 1098287 contains one agreement between Joseph R. Owens and F. Nash Bilisoly in regard to the estate of Owens' parents, Alonzo D. Owens and Sarah Owens (deceased) of North Carolina, dated 10 October 1914; four drafts of a contract of retainer between Joseph R. Owens, James L. Owens, Mary M. Sanderson and Cora Sanderson of the first part, and M. H. Tillitt of the second part in regard to the estate of Alonzo and Sarah Owens, dated 10 August 1915; one power of attorney for James L. Owens, E. M. Owens, J.R. Owens, Cora Sanders, and Mary Sanderson in which Daniel Coleman is appointed attorney in-fact in the settlement of the Owens estate, dated 4 March 1916; one contract for legal services rendered, dated 26 April 1919; one letter to a Senator, from J. R. Owens which discusses the problems with his parent's estate, dated 12 November 1920; one letter to a Mr. Davis, from J. R. Owens, dated 4 June 1921; receipt for room and board to Mrs. J.H. Brimmer, dated 30 June 1921; advertisement for "A History of the Great War" published by the Bureau of National Literature, undated; a panoramic postcard of a scene of the port of La Rochelle, France, undated; and five premium receipt books for life insurance policies held by the Owens family, dated 1917-1919, 1919-1921, 1922-1924, 1924-1925, and 1926-1929
- Lot 1098287 also contains four profit-sharing coupons, undated; a newspaper clipping titled "Soldier relief bill to come up Thursday with right of way," undated; one doctor's note for J. R. Owens describing his broken rib and his inability to work, dated 3 June 1919; two small notebooks containing various addresses and financial information, one circa 1913-1916, the other circa 1919-1920; one photograph of an unidentified soldier, circa World War I; one photograph of an unidentified man sitting on the ground, undated; one unidentified family photograph, undated; one photo postcard of an unidentified, young U.S. soldier, undated; one photo postcard of a baby with "Anne Page Cathell, age one year, March 3, 1915" written on the reverse; one very small photograph of an unidentified woman, undated; one photograph of an unidentified man in a suit, undated; and one photograph of another unidentified woman, undated
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Dept. of the Treasury. (Search Virginia Dept. of the Treasury as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- The Treasurer is the custodian of any property presumed abandoned and remitted to the state's custody for safekeeping. The intangible personal property is retained by the Treasurer after being declared unclaimed, for eventual delivery to the person claiming an interest in said property pursuant to Sections 55-210.20 through 55-210.22 of the Code of Virginia. Per Library of Virginia retention schedule 152-006, intangible personal property records are retained by the Dept. of Treasury for 20 years and then any records deemed archival are transferred to the Library of Virginia for permanent retention.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Virginia Dept. of the Treasury, Unclaimed Property : Papers of Joseph R. Owens, 1914-1926
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Virginia Dept. of the Treasury, Unclaimed Property : Papers of Joseph R. Owens, 1914-1926
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/9DeIxEh1l5Q/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/9DeIxEh1l5Q/">Virginia Dept. of the Treasury, Unclaimed Property : Papers of Joseph R. Owens, 1914-1926</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...