The Resource Cumberland Baptist Church Record Book, 1856-1896
- Cumberland Baptist Church Record Book, 1856-1896
- Inclusive dates
- Slaveholders. -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Church records -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Cumberland County (Va.) -- Church history -- 19th century
- Cumberland Baptist Church (Cumberland County, Va.)
- Church meetings. -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Minute books -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Excommunication. -- Baptists
- African Americans -- History
- Slavery and the church -- Baptists
- Slaves -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Slavery and the church. -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Baptists. -- Virginia | Cumberland County. -- History
- Baptism and church membership -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Cumberland Baptist Church Record Book, 1856-1896, records the church's monthly and quarterly meetings. Information found includes date and location of meetings; names of members attending meetings; election of church officers; reports of church officers; reports to James River Association providing the number of members both white and African American; resolutions passed by church membership; and decisions made by the church membership related to the activities of the church such as excommunication of members, reconciliation of church members, and baptism of new church members. The church's membership included African Americans most of whom were slaves of church members. The record book lists the names of slaves baptized and their owners. It also records the withdrawal from the church of African American members in 1866 for the purpose of forming a Baptist church for African Americans
- The record book includes an index that lists in alphabetical order the names of church members. The index includes additional information such as the year the individual joined the church, the year they were removed from the membership roll, and the reason for their removal (excommunication, death, transfer of membership, etc.)
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Cumberland Baptist Church was founded in 1810 by Joseph Jenkins. The church first met in a log building. Members of Cumberland Baptist church met alternately at Booker's Meeting House and Tar Wallet Meeting House between 1836 and 1843 when the congregation divided. The members living near Tar Wallet formed a separate church and the remaining members constituted Cumberland Baptist Church. The congregation met at Booker's Meeting House from 1856 until 1858 when the congregation began meeting at Jenkins' Meeting House.
- Prominent families who were members of Cumberland Baptist Church include Jenkins family, Anderson family, Reynolds family, Dowdy family, Dunkum family, Meador family, Nunnally family, Parker family, Sanderson family, and Talley family.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- A negative photostatic copy of Cumberland Baptist Church Minute Book, 1836-1856, can be found at the Library of Virginia under the accession number 24200.
ContextContext of Cumberland Baptist Church Record Book, 1856-1896
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Cumberland Baptist Church Record Book, 1856-1896
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/9R0jIkMp26c/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/9R0jIkMp26c/">Cumberland Baptist Church Record Book, 1856-1896</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...