The Resource 1760-1783
- Inclusive dates
- United States -- History -- French and Indian War, 1755-1763
- Woelpper, John David
- Personal papers
- Soldiers -- United States
- United States
- Cherokee Indians -- Wars, 1759-1761
- United States
- Fauquier, Francis,
- Virginia -- History -- French and Indian War, 1755-1763
- Wilpert, John David
- Wilper, David, (John David)
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Commissions, one dated 1 June 1760, appointing John David Wilper (Wilpert/Woelpper) as lieutenant in a company to be added to the Virginia Regiment for the Cherokee Expedition, signed by Lieutenant Governor Francis Fauquier (1703-1768). A second commission, dated 5 January 1776, appoints Woelpper as first lieutenant in the Army of the United Colonies, and a third dated 27 November 1783 appointing Woelpper as brevet Major in the United States Army. The second commission is signed by John Hancock, President of Congress, and the third is signed by Thomas Mifflin, President of Congress.
- Biographical or historical data
- David Wilper and John David Woellper are apparently the same individual. (John) David Wilper was commissioned a lieutenant in the Virginia Regiment for an expedition against the Cherokee Indians during the French and Indian War. During the French and Indian War he served under George Washington, who apparently later recommended Woelpper for a commission in the Continental Army during the American Revolution. John David Woelpper was commissioned a 1st lieutenant in the Continental Army 5 January 1776. He was promoted to captain, possibly 17 July 1776. He was later part of an "invalid" regiment in the Continental Army, but transferred out of the regiment 11 June 1778. Woelpper was promoted to major of the Continental Army 27 November 1783. In 1785, he petitioned Congress for payment of money owed him for his service during the war. Wilper/Woellper owned land in the Valley of Virginia. The name is sometimes spelled Wilpert and Woelper.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
ContextContext of 1760-1783
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1760-1783
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/9YaNJXmPv_g/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/9YaNJXmPv_g/">1760-1783</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...