The Resource Petersburg (Va.) Sanborn Fire Insurance Company Maps, 1903
- Petersburg (Va.) Sanborn Fire Insurance Company Maps, 1903
- Inclusive dates
- Petersburg (Va.)
- Maps -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Historical maps -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Local government records -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Petersburg -- History -- 20th century
- Norfolk (Va.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. -- Maps
- Insurance, Fire -- Virginia | Petersburg -- Maps
- Buildings -- Virginia | Petersburg -- Maps
- Fire insurance maps -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Petersburg (Va.) Sanborn Fire Insurance Company Maps, 1903, are one volume of the Sanborn maps issued for the city of Petersburg for the year 1903.The maps are plans showing the fire insurance risks of buildings in the city and identify commercial, industrial, and residential sections. They show color-coded building construction material, locations of windows and doors, roof type, street widths and names, water facilities, proximity to fire stations, population size, and a coded key to symbols. Oriented with north toward the upper right. Includes index and location map. One sheet is missing half and a section has been cut from the remaining half
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Petersburg was formed from parts of Dinwiddie, Prince George, and Chesterfield Counties. It was established in 1748 and incorporated as a town in 1784. In the latter years the towns of Blandford, Pocahontas, and Ravenscroft were added to Petersburg. It was incorporated as a city in 1850.
- The Sanborn Map Company was founded by D. A. Sanborn, a surveyor from Massachusetts, in 1866. The maps allowed fire insurance underwriters and policy holders to more accurately protect the risks of business even if a building was not able to be inspected in person and to prevent an insurance premium from being set too low or high. Aside from fire insurance companies, the Sanborn Maps are useful to people involved in government, business, engineering, health and sanitation, planning and zoning, public works, tax assessment, education, highway development, public libraries, architects, geographers, environmentalists, water works, banking, mortgages, and life insurance, utilities and many other professional industries. Sanborn Maps also serve as historical documents for cities and towns and are important to those involved in social history, local history, architectural history, genealogy, urban studies, and preservation. The detail provided by the Sanborn Maps about each city in terms of its physical make-up, as well as the infrastructure of each city or town, provides important insights into a locality for professionals of all sorts.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Petersburg (Va.) Sanborn Fire Insurance Company Maps, 1903
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Petersburg (Va.) Sanborn Fire Insurance Company Maps, 1903
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/9iu5nJ569kU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/9iu5nJ569kU/">Petersburg (Va.) Sanborn Fire Insurance Company Maps, 1903</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...