The Resource Funeral expense roll books, 1914-1930
- Funeral expense roll books, 1914-1930
- Inclusive dates
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Registers
- Finance, Public -- Virginia
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Pensions
- United States. -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Pensions
- Veterans -- Confederate States of America -- Registers
- State government records -- Virginia
- Registers (lists)
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Registers
- Military pensions -- Virginia -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Contains three volumes of funeral expense roll books arranged by locality, then chronologically from 1914 to 1930. The volumes include the name of the pensioner, date of death, date claim received, date paid, and amount. The earlier volumes from 1914 to 1926 also include the pension act (e.g. 1888, 1900, or 1902)
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928). (Search Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- After the end of Reconstruction the General Assembly began to financially assist Virginia Confederate Civil War veterans and their families. An act passed on 5 March 1888 provided pensions for soldiers disabled during the war and for widows of soldiers killed in the war. On 7 March 1900 pension benefits were extended to widows whose husbands had died during or after the war from wounds. An act passed on 2 April 1902 included widows whose husbands had died from diseases contracted during the war. The auditor of public accounts maintained registers of pensioners and kept accounts of pension payments. An act passed by the General Assembly on 20 March 1920 required commissioners of the revenue in each locality to report to the auditor of public accounts the names and addresses of Confederate army and navy veterans living in their districts. On 1 March 1928 the Office of the Comptroller in the Department of Accounts assumed the functions of the auditor with regard to pensions.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Funeral expense roll books, 1914-1930
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Funeral expense roll books, 1914-1930
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/9oN8ojkRA5I/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/9oN8ojkRA5I/">Funeral expense roll books, 1914-1930</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...