The Resource Wise County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1917-1918
- Wise County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1917-1918
- Inclusive dates
- Local government records -- Virginia | Wise County
- Wise County (Va.) -- History -- 20th Century
- World War, 1917-1918 -- Registers -- Virginia | Wise County
- Veterans. -- Virginia | Wise County
- Muster rolls -- Virginia | Wise County
- Military records -- Virginia | Wise County
- Virginia -- History -- World War, 1914-1918
- Wise County (Va.)
- Wise County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1917-1918, is a listing of men who served in one of the several branches of the armed services during World War I. Information included in the muster roll includes name, address (name of town), age, color, selective service (date drafted), volunteers for army, navy and marine corps (date accepted and which branch), National Guard and naval militia (date and where mustered), rank, branch, and remarks which include notations about date discharged, reason and date of deaths, whether someone was a chaplain, etc
- The two volumes contain most of the same lists. The volume with Barcode Number 1097953 has a list of "A" surnames that is recorded on the pages after the "B" tab and a fourth list of "H" surnames . Neither of these lists appear in the volume with Barcode Number 1097961. The volume with Barcode Number 1097961 has a page from the Docket of Wise County Circuit Court stuck in the back of the book
- Biographical or historical data
- Wise County was named for Henry Alexander Wise, governor of Virginia from 1856 to 1860. It was formed in 1856 from Lee, Scott, and Russell Counties.
- An act passed by the Virginia General Assembly on March 16, 1918 required the recordation of the names of drafted men. The chairman of each of the Local Draft Boards of the Virginia counties and cities were to furnish their clerk of court were deeds of land were recorded, with the list of residents who through the selective draft law have become members of the military forces of the United States. In cities that were separated into divisions, the chairman of the Local Draft Board of each division was to keep the records. In Richmond City, the Clerk of the Chancery Court was to keep the records. When the clerk of the court received this information, he was to copy it in a book or books provided for the purpose and also create an index for the book. The Adjutant-General of the State was to furnish a list of names of those who joined volunteer companies from the counties or cities. These lists are also to be recorded in to the book and also indexed. Persons joining the naval or military forces of the United States or its allies were allowed to have their record listed in the book. They or someone for them made an application and provide proof of service and when this was done; their record would be recorded in the book.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Wise County Military Records can be found on microfilm at The Library of Virginia web site. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia web site.
ContextContext of Wise County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1917-1918
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Wise County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1917-1918
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/A-j7LOjtIi8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/A-j7LOjtIi8/">Wise County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1917-1918</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...